American Red Cross Lifeguard/BSI Classes at the JCC
Interested in a great summer job or challenging career as a professional lifeguard? Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn teamwork, rescue and surveillance skills, First Aid and CPR/AED and other skills you need to work as a professional lifeguard. The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
REGISTRATION BEGINS MONDAY, DEC. 18!
|American Red Cross Lifeguard Class|
This class is a 28 hour 35 minute course and participants must attend all days scheduled. The fee includes all materials for the class. Students who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED which is valid for 2 years. Must be at least 15 years old on or before the final day of course.
Fee: $240 | JCC Member $200
All participants must successfully complete the following prerequisites the 1st day of class, which includes a Swim Test:
1. Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
2. Starting from the deck, enter the water and swim 20 yards using front crawl or breast stroke. Surface dive between 7-10 feet of water, retrieve a 10 lb object, return to the surface, swim back 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and both hands on the object. Place the object on the deck and then exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes with arms up (using legs only).
Class Dates: Choice of 8 sessions, must be able to attend all days & times of session.
Swim Test will be conducted at 9am on first day of each session at JCC.
Deep water skills & testing Tues. & Thurs., 5pm at St. Mary’s University Natatorium.
|American Red Cross Basic Swim Instructor Class - BSI|
New swim instructor program to teach swim lessons (similar to WSI)
You will have to do an online orientation, to the ARC Swim Programs, prior to class. The link will be provided to you prior to the class start date. This class is a 25 hour course and participants must attend all days scheduled. Must be at least 16 years old on or before the final day of course. This class certifies the participants to teach the Learn to Swim program levels 1-3, pre-school and parent-child aquatics. The fee includes all materials for the class and American Red Cross BSI certification, if the participant scores an 80% or better on all test. Please bring laptop or tablet with the downloaded materials.
Fee: $300 | JCC Member $250
Class Dates: All classes held at the Barshop JCC.
|Lifeguard Review Certification|
For Current Lifeguards whose certification has not expired by the class date of the Lifeguard Review Course.
Proof of current certification must be provided when registering for this class and must be presented to the instructor on the first day of the class. If you do not have current certification by the first class, you will not be allowed to participate in the course and will not be eligible to receive a refund. You are required to bring a CPR pocket mask to class. If you do not have one, they are available for purchase from the instructor for $10. The American Red Cross has implemented new requirements for lifeguards who were certified prior to 2017. Students who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED which is valid for 2 years.
Fee: $135 | JCC Member $110
Class Dates: Sundays at the Barshop JCC, Tuesdays at St. Mary's University Natatorium
Transfers to another Lifeguard/BSI/Re-certification class (if available) will incur a $10 transfer fee. Cancellation will incur a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds given for cancellations made less than 10 day prior to start date of a class.
Where do Classes take place?
All Classes will be held at the JCC, except for two days of the lifeguard class (Tues. & Thurs.), which will be held at St. Mary’s University Natatorium, 1 Camino Santa Maria St, 78228 for deep water skills and testing.
What should I bring to Every Class?
- Swimsuit & Towel, dry change of clothes
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
- Pen/laptop/tablet – be prepared to take notes
- Bring lunch or money for lunch for Sunday class
- A current e-mail, (The American Red Cross sends the certifications electronically to those participants who successfully pass the course). It will take approximately 2 weeks after the last day of class for certifications to be sent.
- All materials issued the First Day of Class – Download lifeguarding manual or the Water Safety Instructor (WSI)/ Basic Swim Instructor(BSI) materials.
If you have any questions regarding any of these courses, please contact Tracy Schuleman at 210-302-6909.